Howard Schumacher represents clients throughout South Florida as an “of counsel” attorney for Meltzer & Bell. His solid background in education and his extensive work experience make him a formidable opponent in court.
Schumacher double majored and earned his bachelor’s degree in geology and English at the University in Miami in 1985. Afterward, he earned his juris doctor from Creighton University School of Law.
Schumacher, a Nebraska native, has practiced law in Florida since 1988. His work has included extensive practice in federal appeals, especially the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, which includes Florida. He has secured acquittals in several high-profile cases, including State v. Errol Windhom.
He has been a member of several professional organizations, including the Florida Bar Association, Broward County Criminal Defense Lawyers, Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the American Bar Association.
Schumacher currently serves as the Teen Court Judge Emeritus for Broward County, a position he has held since 2002.
- University of Miami, Bachelor of Science (Double Major) in Geology/English, 1985
- Creighton University School of Law, Juris Doctorate
Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Florida Bar Association
- Broward County Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Present, Meltzer and Bell, P.A., Of Counsel
- 1990-Present, Law Offices of Howard J. Schumacher, P.A.
- 1988-1990, Law Offices of Allen S. Kaufman, P.A.
- 1986-1988, Schrempp, Gross & Salerno, P.C.
Teaching Advisory Positions/Certifications
- Teen Court Judge Emeritus Broward County, Florida 2002-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
(Pre-eminent rating by Independent Company responsible for evaluation of lawyers attaining the highest level of legal ability and ethics) after evaluation by their peers
- Who’s Who of South Florida Lawyers
Bar and Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the State of Florida
- United States District Court – Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court – Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court- District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals – 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Official Court transcripts available upon request demonstrating cross examination skills against Government’s cooperating witnesses, Federal and State Law Enforcement, expert witnesses.
Pre-trial motions, including motions to suppress evidence/ statements that have previously been granted and their corresponding orders excluding evidence are available upon request.
- Born October 31, 1962 in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Married 24 Years, 3 Children.
- United States v. Evintz Brillant, Federal Court (Southern District of
Florida) – Head of Haitian National Police Drug Task Force—Indicted on Conspiracy to Import Cocaine (Acquittal)
- United States v. Tyrone Cross, Federal Court (Southern District of Florida) -Indicted as one of a “crew” of organized armed bank robbers victimizing multiple bank branch locations in Florida (Acquittal)
- United States v. Wilfredo Vazquez, Federal Court for the Southern District of Florida – Ex – U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement Officer indicted for sexual assault on detainee
- United States v. Belkis Camara-Marquez, Federal Court for the Southern District of Florida – Former Cuban Physician acquitted of Bribery in Furtherance of Medicare Fraud (Acquittal)
- United States of America v. Glendell Edison, Federal Court (Middle District of Florida) – Collier County Sheriff Sergeant indicted for racketeering, extortion, trafficking and money laundering
- United States v. Torres, Federal Court (Southern District of Florida) – Murder for Hire arising from Cocaine Conspiracy (Acquittal)
- United States v. Ionni Kaluris, Federal Court (Southern District of Florida) – conspiracy to Import Cocaine by running a Yacht Basin for the production of motor yachts used to smuggle 1000 + kg of cocaine (Acquittal)
- United States v. David Ogg, Federal Court (Southern District of Florida) – Indicted on Conspiracy to Possess with Intent to Distribute Cocaine (Acquittal)
- State v. Clayton Lawrence, Broward County, Florida Circuit Court – Armed
Home invasion case with two cooperating co-defendants/witnesses (Acquittal)
- State v. Donald Schleig, Okaloosa County, Florida Circuit Court – Air Force E5 Officer charged with Aggravated Sexual Assault on an Incapacitated Person (Acquittal)
- State v. Errol Windhom, Leon County, Florida Circuit Court – Principal of Second Chance Middle School charged with Lewd assault on a student (Acquittal)
- State v. Douglas Sayan, Broward County, Florida Circuit Court- Obtained Governor’s Pardon releasing Defendant convicted of 1st Degree Murder following 13 years imprisonment, after being falsely accused and convicted
- United States v. Jorge Aleman, Federal Court, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, Obtained reversal on appeal for a life sentence given to alien smuggler where death of a passenger resulted – case remanded for re-sentencing (10 year sentence)
- United States v. Wolfgang Von Schlieffen, Federal Court Southern District of Florida – Overturned conviction of Defendant and recouped approximately $300,000.00 of legal fees under Hyde Amendment for False Prosecution